If you work in enterprise IT, you probably already know that network security issues are expensive to fix. But did you know the average cost of a data breach for an Australian organisation is around $2.5 million? Yikes.
That figure comes from the Australian Cyber Security Centre’s 2015 Threat Report, which also predicts the already high incidence of data breaches to continue.
In this environment, it is vital that businesses address security risks with a renewed sense of urgency. With threats to data safety becoming more widespread and sophisticated, every business must consider contemporary, next generation strategies for network protection.
Software-defined secure networking is a new method for reducing risk while delivering maximum protection to users and networks. It offers automated, actionable intelligence to keep systems safe.
In this post, we’ll discuss how a software-defined secure network – combined with the right ICT services provider – can protect your organisation.
What is a software-defined secure network?
The biggest cyber security threats used to be external. So, most organisation’s security efforts focused on building walls to stop external threats getting in. Malware and viruses were kept out by a single point of defence that picked them up when they breached the system.
But these days, security threats also come from within. The rise of BYOD and cloud applications have opened up new ways for hackers to infiltrate networks.
For peace of mind about data security, traditional security measures are no longer enough. To fix this issue, one of our vendors, Juniper Networks, has introduced a new security model: software-defined secure networking.
This video provides a brief overview:
[pexyoutube pex_attr_src=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTMGw5Byi8E” pex_attr_width=”300″][/pexyoutube]
In short, software-defined secure networking protects networks from evolving attacks across the whole IT system.
It integrates security throughout the entire network and all its internal and external components. Right down to the routers and switches.
At ICT Networks, we believe the software-defined secure network is the way of the future. It makes every element of your IT system an enforcement point, creating multiple barriers to prevent threats from impacting operations.
How it works
A software-defined secure network brings together policy, detection, and enforcement with a comprehensive suite of products that centralise and automate security.
Juniper Networks explains it as follows:
1. Policy – Simplified, centrally managed policies are intelligible for all devices on a heterogeneous network.
2. Detection – Threat intelligence is aggregated into a common, cloud-based feed that helps policy adapt for your network, based on the latest threat information.
3. Enforcement – Updated policy is distributed across the network, dynamically, in real time.
Why choose a software-defined secure network?
Most importantly, software-defined network security strengthens enterprise security. Other benefits include:
- Improved ability to recognise and mitigate security threats across the complete network structure
- Increased security enforcement capabilities
- Agile and flexible responsiveness to security threats
- Minimal time lag between threat detection and resolution
- Simplified security management through a central, enterprise-wide platform
Choosing the right services provider
It takes more than just industry-leading technology to maintain network security. A well-chosen services company will help keep your software-defined secure network running smoothly.
Here are some best-practice tips for choosing a services provider:
- Network monitoring
It’s critical that the IT services partner you choose can keep a close eye on your system. Incident detection alone is no longer enough. Every service provider should identify and resolve security issues before they impact your business.
Constant network monitoring should ensure problems are identified and addressed early.
The best providers:
- Create and maintain audits of your full configuration history
- Ensure you have a holistic picture of your evolving network architecture at all times
- Keep track of deployments and changes, equipment, software and serial numbers
- Monitor all aspects of your system and integrations with the cloud, data centres and mobile environments
- Technical response
A rapid response to potential issues is crucial. Delays can lead to expensive service interruptions that impact all areas of the business. A provider needs to be able to mobilise quickly to resolve issues and minimise their impact.
Top IT service providers – like ICT Networks – offer:
- A rapid-response guarantee
- Proactive management
- Real-time diagnostics
- Change management
Look for an expert company with methods that are backed by sophisticated testing and development. This well help to ensure your implementation:
- Is thoroughly proven and tested
- Fits your business and budget
- Complies with regulations and corporate governance guidelines
- Occurs within your business deadlines
- Has end-to-end management and support
- Aligns with the highest industry standards
Software-defined secure networks are the next big thing in enterprise network security. Getting the most from them means working with a specialist services provider to implement and maintain a tailored solution. This will keep your entire system protected and secure.
A well-managed software-defined secure network will give you the confidence that your data is in safe hands.
To find out how ICT Networks can help you build a winning network that delivers countless business advantages, contact us today.